A Library In Town Hall
The town of Merrimac was settled in 1638 and incorporated in 1876. In August of 1876, Dr. James R. Nichols of Haverhill (formerly of Merrimac) offered the newly incorporated town a gift of 1000 volumes as the basis for a town library. Nine months later on May 10, 1877, the first library opened in the Town Hall building, in the space now occupied by the selectmen's office. The library shared quarters with the Post Office, Merrimac National Bank, and a merchant. By the year 1885 the library collection held 4,000 volumes.
Thomas H Hoyt Memorial Library
Thomas Hoyt, a long time library trustee, left a portion of his estate for the construction of a beautiful Tudor building at 34 West Main Street to house the growing library. The new library was dedicated on Friday, April 11, 1930.
The stained glass windows were executed by Charles J. Connick, of Boston, on commission by Mr. Judkins, an automobile manufacturer in Merrimac. Connick Windows are in buildings around the world, including a catheral in Paris, France; Chapels in San Francisco, Boston, and Princeton just to name a few. The Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation has given the Boston Public Library all of the Connick papers.
Merrimac Public Library
Over the years the library's collection outgrew the Hoyt Memorial Library's Tudor building. In 2002 Merrimac purchased six acres of land at 86 West Main Street, a tenth of mile south of the Hoyt Library. Architects Amsler Woodhouse and Mclean began plans for a larger library with plenty of parking at the site. The ground breaking ceremony was held on August 7, 2003. Construction was completed in March of 2004.
Library Building Project: