Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Do you have a question that's not covered here? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will answer your question.
Circulation / Renewals / Fines
- How long am I able to keep an item out for?
- Lending periods differ for each item format. The Circulation Rules table is located in the About section, and contains the most common lending periods as agreed upon by most Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC) libraries. Visit the MVLC Online Catalog to check the status of items on your account at any time.
- How do I renew an item?
- You can renew an item online via the MVLC Online Catalog. Click on the "My Account" tab, then log in using your barcode and pin #, and navigate to the Checked Out/Renew tab. You can also renew your items over the phone by calling the library at (978) 346-9441. Additionally, you may renew your items in person when you come into the library.
- How much are fines for overdue items?
- Items checked out through the Merrimac Library, including ones that we own or ones that have been requested from another library, will not incur fines. Example: if you request an item from Andover to pick up at Merrimac and you check it out at Merrimac, that item will not incur fines. If you had checked the same item out at the Andover library, the item would incur fines because it was checked out at a library that collects fines.
- How many items can I have out at one time?
- A total of 22 items is the maximum.
MVLC Online Catalog
- What is the MVLC Online Catalog?
- The MVLC Online Catalog is an online interface that allows you to view your account status (including any items you currently have checked out, requested, or on hold), to search for books and other items, and to make requests for items. It also provides access to the Overdrive Audiobook download service and the Massachusetts Virtual Catalog.
- How do I access the MVLC Online Catalog?
- You can access the MVLC Online Catalog from any internet-connected computer. Access is also provided in the Library at a dedicated computer station.
- What do I need to have in order to access the MVLC Online Catalog?
- You will need a valid library barcode number from a card issued by one of the libraries in our consortium. You will also need to know the PIN number for your account, which is typically set as the last four digits of your phone number.
- Where is my library barcode number located?
- On the back of the library card or keychain tag issued to you by the library. Cards issued by the Merrimac library begin with 22125________.
- What is my PIN number?
- Your PIN number was assigned to you when you signed up for a library card. It is typically set as the last four digits of your phone number by default. You can change your PIN number at any time either online through the MVLC Online Catalog, or in person at the library.
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium
- What is the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium?
- The Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC) is an alliance of 35 public libraries serving the Greater Merrimack Valley region of Massachusetts. For more information, please see the official MVLC website.
Which Massachusetts libraries are members of the MVLC consortium?
|Amesbury Public Library||www.amesburylibrary.org/||978-388-8148|
|Andover (Memorial Hall Library)||www.mhl.org/||978-623-8400|
|Billerica Public Library||www.billericalibrary.org/||978-671-0948|
|Boxford Town Library||www.boxfordtownlib.org/||978-887-7323|
|Burlington Public Library||www.burlingtonpubliclibrary.org/||781-270-1690|
|Carlisle (Gleason Public Library)||www.gleasonlibrary.org/||978-369-4898|
|Chelmsford Public Library||www.chelmsfordlibrary.org/||978-256-5521|
|Chelmsford McKay Branch||www.chelmsfordlibrary.org/||978-251-3212|
|Dracut (Moses Greeley Parker)||www.dracutlibrary.org/||978-454-5474|
|Dunstable Free Public Library||www.mvlc.org/libraries/dunstab1.htm||978-649-7830|
|Essex (TOHP Burnham Free)||www.mvlc.org/libraries/essex2.htm||978-768-7410|
|Georgetown Peabody Library||www.georgetownpl.org/||978-352-5728|
|Groveland (Langley-Adams Library)||www.mvlc.org/libraries/grovelan2.htm||978-372-1732|
|Hamilton-Wenham Public Library||www.hwlibrary.org/||978-468-5577|
|Haverhill Public Library||www.haverhillpl.org/||978-373-1586|
|Ipswich Public Library||www.town.ipswich.ma.us/library/||978-356-6648|
|Lawrence Public Library||www.lawrencefreelibrary.org/||978-682-1727|
|Littleton (Reuben Hoar Library)||www.littletonlibrary.org/||978-486-4046|
|Lowell (Pollard Memorial Library)||www.pollardml.org/||978-970-4120|
|Manchester-by-the-Sea Public Library||www.manchesterpl.org/||978-526-7711|
|Merrimac Public Library||www.merrimaclibrary.org/||978-346-9441|
|Methuen (Nevins Memorial Library)||www.nevinslibrary.org/||978-686-4080|
|Middleton (Flint Public Library)||www.flintlibrary.org/||978-774-8132|
|Newbury Town Library||www.newburylibrary.org/||978-465-0539|
|Newburyport Public Library||www.newburyportpl.org/||978-465-4428|
|North Andover (Stevens Memorial Library)||www.stevensmemlib.org/||978-688-9505|
|North Reading (Flint Memorial Library)||www.flintmemoriallibrary.org/||978-664-4942|
|Rockport Public Library||www.rockportlibrary.org/||978-546-6934|
|Rowley Public Library||www.town.rowley.ma.us/Library/Lib_home.htm||978-948-2850|
|Salisbury Public Library||www.salisburylibrary.org/||978-465-5071|
|Tewksbury Public Library||www.tewksburypl.org/||978-640-4490|
|Topsfield Town Library||www.topsfieldtownlibrary.org/||978-887-1528|
|Tyngsborough Public Library||www.tynglib.org/||978-649-7361|
|West Newbury (G.A.R. Memorial)||www.mvlc.org/Libraries/wnewbury2.htm||978-363-1105|
|Westford (J.V. Fletcher Library)||www.westfordlibrary.org/||978-692-5555|
|Wilmington Memorial Library||www.wilmlibrary.org/||978-658-2967|